Monday, March 15, 2010

This is why I never update:




Yes, I actually have four other blogs, all of which I'm constantly updating, thus leaving this one going to waste...... or so I would have you believe. The truth is that I have been pretty busy, and possibly putting off the act of writing about everything that has gone on since school ended for the term.

Let's recap: Finals finished, I said goodbye to all my friends going home or traveling, and set about moving into my apartment full time. I was also preparing for my Mom and Marie's visit to Japan. They arrived jet-lagged and sick (poor Marie!) and we quickly went back to Yotsuya to rest up for the coming weeks.

That night I fed my mom yakitori, some of which was RAW CHICKEN!!! Yes, believe it or not, sashimi grade chicken is damn tasty, and not detrimental to your health (I actually thought it was sashimi, and ordered it thinking it was fish... sorry mom?)

Marie started to get better, and we went to Kamakura to explore the old temples and see the Giant Buddha (大仏). I took them to Shinjuku, Kabukicho, my favorite bar, and a cat cafe.

During my time in Osaka, I had become very indebted to two families there (my host fmaily, and the family that ran the small school I worked at), so we rode down to Osaka so I could show Marie and my mom the city and introduce them to the people who had made my life in Osaka so wonderful. Our first night in the city, we went to Chibo, an Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) restaurant I love. It was very good, but I was starting to feel slightly feverish, and my stomach was bothering me. Ignoring the increasing calls of "YOU ARE GONNA GET SICK, BUDDY!" that was body was shouting at me, I took the ladies to Karaoke. It was my mom's first time in Karaoke box, and she sang quite a bit. By the time we left, I felt wretched, and for the rest of the night I was feverish and in pain. Luckily, the fever broke in the middle of the night (I woke up drenched in sweat, but otherwise feeling okay), but the stomach pain was still there, and throughout lunch with the family that runs the school, and dinner with my host family, my stomach was killing me. It didn't start feeling better until we got back to Tokyo, and by that time my mom only had a couple of days left. We had a nice final dinner, and did Print Club Photos (プリクラ)and the next morning I took my mom home.



I took Marie to Feria for Vday dinner and drinks, it was empty and very nice, but no dancing! On Sundays they only have the restaurant and the top bar open. Unfortunately, I never got Marie back there for some dancing, but I will make that up to her when I get back. Asides from Vday, I didn't really have any great plans, but I really wanted to take Marie somewhere special and uniquely Japanese before she went back home. Something we had talked about before was going to a Hot Spring (温泉) together, so we went to the JR travel office and booked a night at one of the most beautiful hot spring resorts I have ever seen. The place had private gazebos, with private baths, sauna, etc, and it was just awesome. The hardest part however, was the traditional Japanese breakfast. Have you ever tried eating a whole squid, crab, cooked fish, rice, and other assorted seafood at 8am in the morning? It's a test for the stomach of anyone who claims to love Japanese food. I will take my fish over-easy next time.


It was really tough watching Marie go through security and down the escalator at the airport. It was so incredible being able to share this country with her, and I got very used to her being with me in this environment. Now that she isn't here, everyday, no matter where I go, I am reminded of her, and homesickness is an even more occurring part of my everyday life. You really don't realize how much little things matter when you are so far from home. I feel like the life I have here is SO SO different from my life back home. Mostly alone, constantly playing baseball, as opposed to being with Marie and my friends from home and fire fighting. Not to say I don't have friends here, it's just different. I miss my old life...


Things have also been getting better here though, not all negative. Every day I spend with the baseball team I feel more accepted, and I feel like I am (however slowly) improving my ability on the field. I hope, that by the time I go home, I will have a very close group of Japanese friends, as well as a strong, accurate arm.


In less than a month classes are starting, so I am going to be pretty damn busy soon, and hopefully these last three months will fly by.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about the unbelievable joy of sharing this gorgeous country with someone who has never seen it..having them become a part of your life here and then having to watch them be whisked away through security checks and down those sad, cold escalators. Having to go back to your life here with all those memories. It can be so lonely - and I feel like this time, right before spring is definitely the hardest part (because the weather is crap and you're miserable anyway) - it was for me last year too. But that's what hanami is for - drowning in sake under the sakura, and you'll feel better, and love everything about Japan...and then we get to go home to the ones we love :) Hang in there. (and happy to see you blogging here again!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really well written. Also glad you documented this time together with me and Marie. This has been a huge experience for you. One of endurance as well as many other stretches past your comfort zone. Not many your age can do Xmas in McD's ALONE! Your life, when you return, will take on new meaning. The little things will matter more and you will never say you are bored of Narberth, perhaps! You carry your happiness within you.
    We must talk soon, i need to see your face.

    ReplyDelete